Geared toward professional dancers dealing with significant injury, we help by mitigating the isolation many dancers experience during recovery by providing emotional support and sharing resources.
Actors Fund Vice Chair Bebe Neuwirth founded The Dancers’ Resource after having hip replacement surgery, several years of physical therapy, arthroscopic surgery, excruciating pain, the emotional stress of not being able to dance and not wanting people to know about her condition. The Dancers’ Resource was Ms. Neuwirth’s response to the unique situation dancers face as a consequence of the physically demanding nature of their work, coupled with the significant financial challenges of earning a living in dance.
The Dancers’ Resource provides:
- Emotional support for dancers dealing with injuries by providing individual and group counseling*
- Referrals for healthcare and health insurance
- Information and advocacy with workers' compensation and disability insurance
- Educational seminars on injury prevention, nutrition and wellness, financial planning and more
- Emergency financial assistance
- Connection to other dancers to share experiences, resources and advice
*Groups are offered on a rolling basis throughout the year. Please contact us (see below) for more information.
Any professional dancer is welcome to call The Dancers’ Resource for support, information and referrals to community agencies. Eligibility for financial assistance requires an application, documentation of your professional earnings and an interview and in general is based on:
- For active dancers an applicant must have earned in the performing arts and/or entertainment industry a minimum of $2,000 per year for the past three years, or
- For former dancers an applicant must have a minimum of seven years paid employment in the performing arts and/or entertainment industry with five years of earnings of at least $5,000 per year, or
- An applicant over 65 must be able to document that his/her primary life earnings were derived from the performing arts and/or entertainment industry
For Assistance, Please Contact:
We provide assistance nationally. Please contact our regional office closest to you.
New York City
Catherine Drury, LCSW
212.221.7300, ext. 166
323.933.9244, ext. 455
Related Sites & Organizations
Provides counseling and scholarship funds for dancers seeking a new career.
The Parachute Fund provides grants to members of the San Francisco Bay Area dance community facing HIV/AIDS or other life-threatening illnesses.
Financial assistance is available to dancers and choreographers who meet eligibility criteria. Administered by The Actors Fund.
Gives you tools and information on employment, health coverage, and benefits. Use it to find out how a job may affect your total income and your health coverage.
Provides comprehensive information about disability programs, services, laws and benefits for disabled individuals and their families. A state & local resource locator is also provided.